Thursday, August 09, 2012

From Aankhen to Zanjeer - and everything in between!



I have been an avid and a long-time reader of Diptakirti Chaudhuri's blog. Though I do not share his love for food or sports, I do love reading about his obsession with Bollywood. One has only to go through some random entries on his blog to realize it. Thus, it comes as no surprise that the man actually chose to write a book on it!

The first thing that strikes you about Kitnay Aadmi Thay (KAT) is that it has no contents section in the front and no index in the back. It is a completely random book that the reader is supposed to read as s/he wishes - jumping from one list to the other. The book is a collection of several random lists which make for interesting reading. To whet your appetite, some of the lists include: Song Names which Became Movies, Top Brother-Sister Pairs, Roles which went beyond the Movies, Movies which Inspired Other Movies, etc. I am only half-way through the book but believe me when I say that the book is unputdownable. I was reading it at breakfast this morning and almost got late for work on a Monday morning!!!

Dipta's obsession with certain Bollywood celebrities for e.g. Big B, RDB, Madhuri, etc. is quite apparent throughout the book. Sholay, which the author mentions as The Greatest Movie Ever Made, also appears in quite a few lists. As does a personal favourite of mine - Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron!!!

The book is peppered with a healthy dose of humour in Dipta's inimitable writing style. Sample this: Speaking about Kal Ho Naa Ho, the author says that when your doctor Sonali Bendre leaves you to marry Sanjay Kapoor, you should commit suicide if you do not die of an illness :)

I am sure the book will be a great gift for those who have impromptu quizzes on Bollywood or for those who want to know every minute detail about the movies (like me - what book was Sharmila reading in Mere Sapnon Ki Rani? what was Amol Palekar's qualification in Golmaal? why did the kid Anjali's parents name her Anjali in Kuch Kuch Hota Hain? :)) I have bought 5 copies of the book to gift my family and friends. I have loved the book so far and I hope they do too!

The only thing left for Dipta to do now is come out with a second book listing all the things which he mentions in KAT would require a separate book :)

This review has been published on www.homeshop18.com.

Kitnay Aadmi Thay : Completely Useless Bollywood TriviaKitnay Aadmi Thay : Completely Useless Bollywood Trivia by Diptakirti Chaudhuri

No comments: